Re: how would you handle it

Jan 01, 1997 06:37 PM
by M K Ramadoss

At 04:40 PM 1/1/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> Also the National Directors are
>>likely to be very very secretive about disclosing how much money they have
>>and how it is being spent. There is no requirement that they disclose it to
>>the ordinary members. Accountability, must not be based on *trust*, but
>>built-in openness and requirement to disclose.>
>
>I agree with Doss. Case in point. The proceeds from the sale of the Boston
>Lodge, after the lawyers got the lion's share, went partly to the Lodge and
>partly to who knows whom, someone representing Wheaton or the North East
>Federation, or some such thing. (I've forgotten the exact amounts but it was
>quite a considerable sum). The Lodge took their money, and bought another
>building which they are now using. I heard that the Wheaton money, had been
>put into a savings account. It sounded like the height of foolishness to me
>for that much money to be in a comparatively low yield savings account, so
>about a year ago, I asked Fernando De Torjillos, who was & is the NE
>Director, what was happening to that other money. He answered back, on the
>defensive, that it was in the hands of a Trust. So I asked back "what
>Trust", because I really wanted to know what was happening with that money.
>I have yet to get an answer. The subject happened to have come up by
>accident recently in my correspondence with Elisabeth Trumpler. So I asked
>again "what's happening with the Boston money". The question wasn't even
>acknowledged. I don't think anybody in the TS is really crooked. But Es
>members hang together by hook or by crook. If they cheat to win elections,
>which I think they did, several times, who knows what's happening to that
money.

>Liesel

   Some of those who are newbees to theos-l may want to go back and see the
mass of messages that discussed the bylaws change that was made at TSA.

   The changes were (mis) presented as routine house keeping, when those who
drafted the presentation knew fully well that the real changes were *not*
house keeping. It was a tragedy that a society whose motto is There is No
Religion Higher Than Truth should see such a thing happen. It is indeed Kali
Yuga and I suppose anything is possible.

   We may also recall how when the question of withdrawal of charter of
various national sections in Denmark, Yugoslavia, Canada etc were brought
out, it was very simplistically explained away saying that the situation in
those countries were not that simple implying I suppose that none of us are
competent enough to understand complex matters, thus belittling the
intelligence of average member of TS.

   I am posting this message so that newbees should get to know the details
and understand what has gone on and who the players are. Then they can come
to their own conclusions.

MKR