Re: "Religious" Theosophists.

Dec 26, 1996 03:11 PM
by Ann E. Bermingham

----------
> From: John Straughn <JTarn@envirolink.org>
>
> Tom Robertson writes:
> >It is impossible not to consider one's own ideas as superior, since, if
the
> >ideas of others were regarded as superior, those ideas would
automatically
> >be adopted as one's own.  If I did not consider Theosophy to be superior
> >Christianity, I would be a Christian, not a Theosophist.
>
> Is it not possible to be a Christian Theosophist?  Or perhaps such a
person
> would be better "labeled" as a theosophical Christian.

I find this discussion hard to discern.  It is my understanding that one
can be of any religion or belief system and still be part of TS.  My
husband
was once told there were even theosophical athiests.  One can follow one's
own path, yet gain from theosophy and the study of comparative religion.
Olcott has had many different speakers from many different paths.
Yoga, Buddhism, Christianity, Gnosticism and too numerous to mention.
At the start of the Annual Meeting there is always the recitation of
prayers
of blessing from different religions and spiritual sources.

As for looking for labels, I think one labels oneself according to the
crowd one may hanging out with.

-AEB

-Ann E. Bermingham