Who's on top?

Dec 06, 1996 05:59 AM
by Ann E. Bermingham

Tom Robertson wrote:

> It is natural for men to dominate women, since they are stronger, both
> physically and volitional.  Most women want this, preferring men to be
the
> leaders.  "Exploitation" has negative connotations of injustice, which is
> distinct from domination.

This attitude seems to me to have more to do with a need to dominate, to
take control of someone in your life because one is basically afraid of the
othe person and the possibility that one may lose them.  My personal
observation is that men are afraid of women because women have so much
power over males.  They can arouse desire in males, causing the males to
lose control as their hormones take over.  The other is a discovery of
emotion within the male, as he begins to have overpowering feelings for a
female.  To a group of males who have been taught to hold back emotion and
be logically in control at all times, it has got to be difficult to be
overtaken with emotion for a female and realize that person has the power
to hurt you by rejection or in other ways.  So the feared object must be
controlled.

The best thing I ever read on this subject was from some Bailey material
that I read on the public transit.  Logical males are striving to get more
emotional.  Emotional women are striving to get more logical.  In the end,
we are all striving for balance.

-Ann E. Bermingham

BTW, the last digest, as well some other mail, didn't make it to my
mailbox, so I've missed some things.