Re: Brotherhood again

Dec 01, 1996 07:08 PM
by Bee Brown

At 09:02 PM 30/11/96 -0500, you wrote:
>In message <1.5.4.32.19961130233315.006d4efc@whanganui.ac.nz>, Bee Brown
><bbrown@whanganui.ac.nz> writes
>>Here is a little fuel for the fire from Vitvan. In his book The Christos
>>(1951) he writes:
>>"When we get to the final analysis or ultimate understanding, we find that
>>humanity on this planet is one brotherhood, one family. That is not an ideal
>>we are working towards; it is a fact that we have to 'discover'. We have to
>>discover that we are all integrated in the same field, and because we are
>>integrated on one field we are brothers; that is, we are one family.
>
>Oh what an important message this is, Bee!  Vitvan here qualifies his
>use of "brotherhood" by adding "family" in such a way that the meaning
>is clear (IMO) that "family" is as good a way of putting it as any, and
>I would suggest that he implies that it is a better way, as (for
>example) sisters in a family do not need to be called "brothers" or be
>members of a "brotherhood" and neither do mothers, fathers, sons,
>daughters, or anyone in between <g>.
>
>This may be the same thinking that led the inspiration (not mine) to use
>the term "family" in preference to "brotherhood" when formulating the
>Theosophy International "alternative" or complementary statement of
>intent with its variation on the three objects.
>
>The most imortant point of your quote is:
>
>>That is not an ideal
>>we are working towards; it is a fact that we have to 'discover'.

That is what I thought too. That ideal is already part of the Cosmic Plan,
it is just us that have not realised that yet and when we 'discover' this is
the way of progress to peace and a fuller life then perhaps we will hurry
and care for each other in a supportive way.

>This, to me, is the ultimate message of theosophy.  Like it or not, we
>all "belong together" - would it not be a good idea to get to like it,
>and to like each other?  This is why I am such a fervent supporter of
>TI, which speaks in terms of family, amity, and respect for all life.
>
>So I honestly find it  difficult to understand why anyone would want to
>hold out or hold forth against such sentiments.

I highly recommend taking a look at the book The Christos on the Vitvan
webpage. He wrote that in 1951 and it is remarkable how simply he explains
such a vast subject. I am in touch with the School in Nevada and they are
more than happy to let any part of the writings be used without referring to
them for copyright permission. They feel that any such writings should be
freely available to whomever may gain some use from them. I even have their
tee-shirt :-) It has the aum sign in the centre of a circle of leaves and
flowers and their name discreetly on one sleeve. I wear it around everywhere.

>Sincerely,
>
>Alan

Cheers.

Bee Brown