Re: A First in Internet Publication

Nov 15, 1996 08:15 AM
by m.k. ramadoss

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Bart Lidofsky wrote:

> MK Ramadoss wrote:
> > I hope this is the trend of the future -- at least those who is more
> > interested in getting the message out rather than having the $ as the
> > first priority.
> >
> > I hope to see TSA and others take a similar approach.
>
> 	Maybe, but remember that currently, only about 5% of the United States
> has regular Internet access. I expect that with new technologies, higher
> availability, etc. etc., that the number will triple within a year or
> two. That's STILL not a lot. Until the number hits about 50% (and I
> believe it will, eventually), the Internet will still be a trend of the
> future, and the cost/benefit needs to be examined. Certainly, if
> volunteers can be gotten to do the transcription (which should be
> doable), the delta cost of putting it on the Internet is small. Better,
> of course, is the plan to, for example, put THE SECRET DOCTRINE and THE
> MAHATMA LETTERS on CD-ROM, with full Boolean searching capabilities.
>
> 	Bart Lidofsky

	I totally agree with you. From a practical point of view, one of
the advantages of books currently being published is that the text is
already in a computer file and with very little incremental cost
publishing on the internet should be feasible. It would be great to see
the publications being put on CD Rom. Now that prices of recordable cd
rom drives coming down, duplication of CD Rom at user level will be very
inexpensive. In addition if the price of CD Rom is kept low enough, say
at $10.00 per disk, there will not be any incentive for this too.

	Let us see what happens.

	MKR