Re: one final thought

Oct 20, 1996 12:56 PM
by Bart Lidofsky

liesel f. deutsch wrote:

> Re opened and closed meetings.
>
> When I was Branch President, the instructions in the Branch Handbook were
> for the Branch to decide how many open and how many closed meetings it would
> have. I thought that the preferred formula was to have 3 open & 1 closed
> meeting per month. In practice, our closed meetings turned out to be the

	It also depends on what you mean by "closed meetings". In the New York
Lodge, we do not publicize the members meetings except to members, but
we do not keep interested parties out, either.

	One program that we have, once per month (from an idea I got indirectly
from Sy) is "First Friday at the Movies". We show a popular movie with
Theosophical themes once per month (on the first Friday of the month,
hence the name), with a discussion afterwards. I try to keep the movies
varied in date and style (among the ones we have shown have been HOW
GREEN WAS MY VALLEY, GROUNDHOG DAY, RASHOMON, and AMADEUS). The program
is members-only more for legal reasons; we don't have to pay a licensing
fee for showing the tapes if it is members only (we don't charge for the
movie, but we DO ask for a donation to defer the costs of the
refreshments served...)

	Bart