Sexism, spells, and other stuff

Oct 13, 1996 04:25 PM
by kymsmith

It has been suggested the arguments regarding "Sexism" is unimportant in the
Theosophical scheme of things.  Really?  How are we going to "help humanity"
if every time we speak we unnecessarily offend a great number of them.
Those who find "political correctness" tiresome are simply lazy.  How are we
going to help humankind if we can't integrate basic concepts of equality?
We know this - Theosophy will first be identified by those who practice it,
and if they practice in offensive ways, then Theosophy will be dismissed as
just another "us against them" belief system.  Yes, I am aware that for many
Theosophists, the fewer that know of Theosophy, the more special that makes
those of us who do.  But what does that say about us, what does that say
about Theosophy?

I am also amazed that there is more outrage at the "spell" post than there
was at the post it was in response to.  Did most of you really read the post
that prompted the "spell" post (yes, I will acknowledge a few (too few) did
find it offensive, and the best posts speaking up were from men)?  After
reading many of the responses addressing the "girls," I sincerely hope the
black people among us don't request audience in regards to the terms "White
Brotherhood."

Also, some seem to actually think I really put a "spell" on Maurice (I have
gotten some pretty violent private posts on this subject - one claimed
"women will use any and all means to emasculate men, including magic" - uh,
ok. ..)  It is clearly un-Wiccan to ever "curse" anyone, (so is the use of
effigies) and only those ignorant of Wicca would ever declare that such was
acceptable to Wiccans.  Funny how those who screamed the most about people
who can't take a joke freaked out the greatest after reading the "spell" post.

I am disturbed too how even some women on this list are willing to accept
non-equality.  A woman even doubted the female body was as good as the man's
(although that post was readdressed eloquently by a male, proving that men,
when they so choose, are capable of seeing women as equals without feeling
any personal threat - a sign of personal and mental strength - and yes, it
goes both ways).  Didn't HPB, and I'm fuzzy on this, express the thought
that she was not given all by the Masters because she was a female, or
something like that??

Do any of you really know someone who speaks only in the "feminine," as was
eluded to in a post or two?  If the terms really don't matter, why don't we
try an experiment - speak only in the feminine - and see how long it takes
before males, and perhaps some females, suggest we are somehow
discriminating against the male essence.

'Tis such a thing, I now think, as Theosophical fundamentalism.  And I am
despondent with this new found knowledge.  It is as was suggested in a wise
post - that in the beginning, in the first discovery of Theosophy, the
excitement and idealism pour forth, the false-assurance that the ideas are
so refined, so insightful, they could never be tarnished, that those who
claim to believe in them probably act and speak accordingly.

God, I hate being so naive.  And it has, perhaps, happened to me - as
Baudlaire said, '...do not let me be like those I despise.'

Kym (aka - "Witchie-poos")