Re: THEOS-L digest 682

Oct 08, 1996 00:58 AM
by Maurice de Montaine

On  7 Oct 96 at 18:31, Robert Word <theos-l@vnet.net>  wrote:

> Perhaps, although I don't think my college professor in non-western
> religions would have agreed with you.  But I shall leave such
> contentions to the scholars among us.

     They may not agree. Nonetheless, my brother, many among the
academics and suchlike scholars also interpreted nirvana incorrectly.
Do you get the point?

     By the way, my Ph.D. is in philosophy. Irrespective of whether
it is Western or Eastern philosophy or religion, my brother, not all
academics agree with each other, with students or whomever. Sometimes
it is a matter of interpretation and personal opinion. On other
occasions, however, they actually do interpret a term or idea
correctly. Then there is distinguishing the esoteric  context and the
exoteric context. There are even disagreements and differing views
among Theosophists pertaining to not only the general philosophical
and religious terms but Theosophical ones as well. So it is for every
teaching that I have come across and been involved with. Some more so
than others. But behind all human equivocation lies the truth.

> But the case of Crowley, I find difficult to understand.  As a
> member of Anglo Saxon Lodge under Grand Loge de France, he could
> never have been admitted to the regular (i.e. recognized) Ancient
> and Accepted Rite in England.  Are you sure that the letter of
> expulsion emanates from the Regular Body?

     You reveal all, my brother, when you say "I find it difficult to
understand." The point is in your knowledge and your understanding or
lack thereof. That is why you are encountering such a difficulty.
There is nothing essentially difficult or extrordinary about it. I
say this respectfully rather than in a derogatory context.

     Never use the word never in such a context, my friend. It is
neither impossible nor unique. It has been done before and will be
done again. Learn to assess each instance on its own merits rather
than generalising too much. Both his Masonic diploma as I have stated
and the letter of expulsion originate therefrom. I would have told
you if it were otherwise.

Fraternally

Maurice

* Maurice de Montaine                                                     *
* E-mail: mauriced@hba.trumpet.com.au    Postal Address:   PO Box 205     *
* Ph/Fax: Nat. (03) 6224 8105                              South Hobart   *
* Internat. +61 3 6224 8105                                Tasmania       *
*                         SALUTEM PUNCTIS TRIANGULI!       Australia 7004 *
*                       MAGNA EST VERITAS ET PREVALEBIT                   *