Re: VOS-The 7 Portals

Sep 05, 1996 05:48 PM
by Ann E. Bermingham

Keith:
>4. VIRAGA, indifference to pleasure and to pain, illusion
>conquered, truth alone perceived.

This seemed to me to relate to something you posted earlier, that one who is
enlightened sees the world as manifestations of energy.  If one were to view
pleasure and pain as manifestations of energy, as simply different types of
tests on the game board of life, neither to be sought nor avoided, then one
would not identify with either.

It says to me that by lifting one's consciousness up another notch, perhaps to
the level of the soul, then one's reactions and behavior to the illusory
opposites would be changed.  One would truly see things as they are and thus,
conquer the illusion of the physical world.

-Ann E. Bermingham