Re: Consciousness/Gurdjieff

Aug 19, 1996 03:02 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <960819115147_72724.413_FHP47-1@CompuServe.COM>, Sy Ginsburg
<72724.413@compuserve.com> writes
>So the work is to try as best we can to exist in consciousness state #3. The
>tool that Gurdjieff says we have for existing in consciousness state #3 is
>"ATTENTION".  It is, in fact, our only tool.  The work is to include ourself in
>our ATTENTION in every moment and at the same time include in our ATTENTION
>whatever else we are attentive to.
>
>This is likened to "mindfulness" practices in certain forms of buddhism, and
>"watchfulness" the secret code word in the new testatment about which Jesus
>spoke. It is what the monks practice on Mt. Athos as esoteric Christianity.

Indeed. The most immportant discipline of all is the discipline of
ATTENTION - not to allow it to be "captured" - ie, sent to sleep.  I
learnt in School (G-based) of the 3 states of attention - scattered,
captured, and controlled.  Go for controlled!  Not as easy as it seems,
but it is relatively easy to "keep watch" for things or events which
capture the attention - like TV, Movies, and a myriad other things.

Alan
---------
Homepage: http://www.nellie2.demon.co.uk/
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: Ancient Wisdom for a New Age
TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk
http://WWW1.Minn.Net/~vlg/TI.html (Figure "one" after WWW)