Re: Did Jesus Exist?

Aug 06, 1996 10:16 AM
by Jerry Hejka-Ekins

Alan Bain wrote:
>[Aside to Jerry - have you read "The Teaching of Addai" - ?

JHE
Eusebius' translation?  Well, I find the story hard to accept,
and considering the late date of the text, I would be inclined to
believe that it is a fabrication.  But it does give some insight
and raises questions.  First; the early Syrians' stress upon
Jesus as a healer.  I think the emphasis on this aspect has been
lost in modern society.  Second; though the document is certainly
more of a devotional piece than real history, it raises the
question of the existence of early Christian activity in Syria.
HPB seems to suggest that a lot was indeed going on there in the
first century and that it was closer to the teachings of the
historical Jesus.  But where are the texts?  Certainly the church
never preserved them, and James Hastings shows only later date
material.  More likely the documents will be among material that
have been labeled "Jewish Gnosticism."   Any ideas?

JHE

   |Jerry Hejka-Ekins,                      |
      |Member TI, TSA, TSP, ULT                |
         |Please reply to: jhe@toto.csustan.edu   |
            |and CC to jhejkaekins@igc.apc.org       |