Re: Down and dirty

Jun 30, 1996 12:08 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

Most of the subscribers to the theos-lists seem to be Americans - may I
ask them, politely of course :-) if they agree with your assessment
below (Alex excepted, as we already know he does).

Alan

In message <960630120600_424710863@emout07.mail.aol.com>,
Drpsionic@aol.com writes
>Alan,
>We sort of think it is.  When you have a society like ours which has as its
>fundamental operating priniciple that everyone is on an equal footing, it is
>very difficult to dance around things, so we just say what is on our minds
>and let the bombs fall where they may.  It helps us live longer, and we don't
>get ulcers.
>Also, you have to remember that the reaction against respectability may be a
>purely American phenomenon in the extent that it has spread through most of
>the educated part of society. (Alex will probably argue with me on the
>extent, but that is my experience)  The result is that we have developed a
>very complicated social structure, with tons of hidden stratifications and no
>real way to deal with them that people feel comfortable with, so in reaction,
>we refuse to worry about it.
>It probably drives the rest of you nuts, but we mean well.
>
>Chuck the Heretic

---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL:
Ancient Wisdom for a New Age