Re: Martin vs. Process Theosophists

Jun 30, 1996 03:35 PM
by Jerry Schueler

Alexis:
> ...Therefore you folks on the list have been unable (I think) to share our
>discussions.
	Oh.  OK.

>Now Martin publically complains bitterly that no one will give him their
>reasons for believing in "process theosophy", but that is entirely untrue, I
have spent hours and hours patiently detailing all of my own rationale for
my beliefs, he either ignores them, or cannot comprehend them (my
suspicion).
	Even having missed many of your private postings, I have
seen enough on theos-l to know where you are coming from.  Also,
JRC and Paul have added their perspectives.  I don't understand
what Martin's or Dan's problem is.  Richard I. says that he falls
somewhere in between the two (he is, BTW, Mr. Theosopher).  I
may be in there somewhere too, because I like the "core teachings."
But I do prefer to take them eclectically rather than swallowed whole.

> I have merely pointed
>out, as others have before me that from reading the messages to
>this list one concludes that some people see theosophy as a process
> and other treat it religiously as a "Core Doctrine".
	This was certainly true awhile back.  I think most of the "core
doctrine" folks have abandoned ship by now.  This is unfortunate, but
inevitable.  There is a sense of security in having a core doctrine, and
in thinking that one is looking at the moon instead of just a pointing
finger.  It is comforting to share the same ideas with others--this is
the cement that holds churches together.   Theos-l is no longer a secure
or comfortable place for those who take the core teachings as gospel.
They really only have three options:  (1)  discuss or debate, (2) change
their own worldview, or (3) leave.  After attempting the first option for
awhile, most opt for the third which is far easier than the second.
But their own experiences, sooner or later, will bring them to question
one or more of the core teachings, and personal experience is much
stronger than our postings here can ever be.  We can quit theos-l
but we cannot run away from our experiences, at least not when they
are "numinous" in the Jungian sense.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI