Re: Down and dirty

Jun 30, 1996 01:33 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 12:10 PM 6/30/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Alan,
>We sort of think it is.  When you have a society like ours which has as its
>fundamental operating priniciple that everyone is on an equal footing, it is
>very difficult to dance around things, so we just say what is on our minds
>and let the bombs fall where they may.  It helps us live longer, and we don't
>get ulcers.
>Also, you have to remember that the reaction against respectability may be a
>purely American phenomenon in the extent that it has spread through most of
>the educated part of society. (Alex will probably argue with me on the
>extent, but that is my experience)  The result is that we have developed a
>very complicated social structure, with tons of hidden stratifications and no
>real way to deal with them that people feel comfortable with, so in reaction,
>we refuse to worry about it.
>It probably drives the rest of you nuts, but we mean well.
>
>Chuck the Heretic
>
>No I don't disagree with you at all. Long ago, when living in Europe I
learned that for many complicated reasons, it is almost impossible for
Europeans to deal with American's, and that is why, subconsciously or
consciously, as the case may be, they dislike us so very much. One of the
paradoxes which always amazed me is that the Germans resent us less for
beating them, than the other Europeans do for saving them. What most
Europeans really resent is the visceral knowledge that most people became
Americans because they hated where ever it was they came from.

alex