Re: Welcome

Jun 29, 1996 04:20 PM
by Drpsionic

Alex,
I didn't say that they worked, I only said that was why they got put in.  The
reason they caught on so big in England was because the country houses were
very hard to defend and somebody thought that a maze, propley designe, would
stop horses.  You accurately point out the weakness of the theory, but it
seemed to work in practice, particularly during the 18th century when the
country houses were constant prey to  the Dick Turpins of the era.

Chuck