Re: Mail Order Theosophy

Jun 19, 1996 02:12 PM
by m.k. ramadoss

On Wed, 19 Jun 1996 Drpsionic@aol.com wrote:

> Doss,
> The idea of all members-at-large was something the founders never saw, but
> there was no way they could in that time.  With our means of communication,
> lodges are an interesting anachronism, a leftover from the days of horses and
> buggies.
> It would be a shame to lose the olcott property, but I have a feeling that
> that will not happen.  The presence of a national hq site has too many
> practical advantages.
>
> Chuck

Chuck:

I did not for one moment consider losing Olcott property. Even with mail
order operation and lending library and printing and distribution, there
would be a need for real estate space to carry on these activities.

Based on my personal experience, even with the modern mode of
communications, the presence of local lodges and study centers can be
very useful due to the personal chemistry that occurs when people meet. I
am yet to see any planned effort on the part of TSA to address this
issue.

On the question of modern technolog, whether TSA is poised to make full
use of modern means of  communications such as telephone, internet,
teleconferencing, faxes etc. I am not sure.

IMHO, it is not so, even though TSA administration may say it is.
For a simple example, in the recent exchange of communications I had
with with John  Algeo regarding Voting Tally info release, he was
defacto adamant  in using the snailmail even after I gave him the cost
and efficiency reasons of using  the fax and e-mail. The transmission
cost of a single page of fax is 7  cents compared to 32 cents for USPS
and the marginal cost of e-mail to anywhere in the world is ZERO.

Only time will tell.

    Peace to all living beings.

    M K Ramadoss