Re: Ruminations (Martin Euser)

Jun 16, 1996 08:18 PM
by JRC

On Sun, 16 Jun 1996, Blavatsky Foundation wrote:
> I, too, would like to see these alternatives with arguments, evidence in support
> of them.  We hear so much talk against core theosophy yet I seldom see anyone
> point out alternatives with the supporting arguments, etc.

Daniel ...
	Tried to do exactly that on several occaisions - beginning 8
years ago with a 10,000 word article called "TS 2000" in the AT, and most
recently with a long (for the NET) post ... on this list ... on the First
Object.
	On every occaision these attempts, save for a few stray comments,
have been virtually universally ignored. It takes a serious expenditure
of energy to go beyond critique and actually attempt to formulate and
articulate the "alternatives". It is not only myself, but a number of
other Theosophists I've met over the years, and spoken with privately and
at great length, that have had similar experiences.
	In my own perception, Theosophy has settled into comfortable,
carved channels, and on the whole has very little interest in the *genuine*
exploration of any alternatives - even if those alternatives are grounded
in the foundational Objects of the original society, and readings of the
intentions of the Adepts that are at least as valid as those currently
popular among the leaderships.
	There *are* organizations ... and many of them ... hard at work
in the world today - organizations that are actively working (whether
they state it explicitly or not) towards the accomplishment of the
intentions in those objects. And many of them welcome the creative energy
of people who are trying to formulate new ways of looking at the human
kingdom and the relations within it. It is to these that most who try to
frame alternative views of Theosophy go - when it becomes clear that
their efforts simply amount to wasted energy within the theosophical
current.
	I fear my own (completely personal) sense is that having
*accepted as good and correct* the injunction at the core of Theosophy -
that the *service to humanity* is both the source and end of "personal"
spiritual activity and growth - that it constitutes both the philosophy
and day to day existance of the Adepts - yes, having *accepted*
Theosophy, that theosophical circles are unfortunately not the place to
actually *live* the philosophy ...
	The current people that have "status" in the movement, those
considered "wise", are for the most part those that (IMO) are simply
*selfishly* pursuing their own studies, their personal growth, seeking
their own development, and then wanting to "teach" what they know to
"neophytes" - as though that is *service*. Theosophy has become a place
to serve oneself - not a place to serve humanity.
	Perhaps there are very few "alternatives" really formulated and
supported is because it takes a great deal of a very particular kind of
energy to do such a thing - but if one intends to commit that sort of
energy, it needs to be done with a serious cost/benefit analysis ...
i.e., the question must be asked, *where* will the expenditure of that
energy achieve the greatest effects? For myself, most of the time I
choose to put what little abilities I have into organizations other than
Theosophy - because I know of many that are actually *accomplishing* the
Objects for which Theosophy was begun far more effectively than modern
Theosophy is.

							Regards, -JRC