Re: Theosophy is a Coined Term

Jun 10, 1996 01:11 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 09:23 PM 6/9/96 -0400, you wrote:

>	While I was using a couple of Web search engines to find
>"Theosophy", I inadvertantly stumbled across something called _Theosophy:
>A Portrait_, by (you guessed it) "John Algeo: President of the
>Theosophical Society in America". It is a thirteen page discourse,
>apparently designed to inform people who have never heard of the TS
>(e.g., it starts by saying the TS was formed by HPB, HSO, & WQJ in New
>york, etc., etc.). Algeo is writing here, notice, in his official role as
>President.
>	The actual *Objects* are not mentioned until the fourth page, and
>are discussed thus:
>	"The first object of the Theosophical Society is (in one
>wording), "To form a nucleus of the Universal Brotherhood of Humanity
>without distinction of race, creed, sex caste, or color" and the second
>is "To encourage the study of comparative religion, philosophy and
>science". As those objects indicate, Theosophy is dedicated to increasing
>cooperation among human beings and understanding among their cultures and
>religions."
>
>	That's right folks, *THE THIRD OBJECT HAS DISAPPEARED*! It is
>mentioned *nowhere in the entire piece*.
>	Just who the *hell* does this guy think he is?
>						       Lividly, -JRC

You know JRC?I don't believe in intrinsic evil (or intrinsic good for that
matter) but John Algeo is, I thank a man who is approaching intrinsic evil,
or else a very stupid one. The Three objects in unison are all that makes
theosophy worth existing. Take object three away and you invalidate the
other two completely. How does it demonstrate that: "theosophy is dedicated
to increasing cooperation among human beings and understanding among their
cultures and religions" when Annie Besant was cozying up to Mussolini?

alexis, who is just as furious as you!