Re: Blind Men and the Elephant

Jun 04, 1996 00:46 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 08:40 PM 6/3/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Doss:
>>I have been trying to make Theosophy practical in the sense that I
>>try to apply the ideal of Universal Brotherhood to help any man(woman) or
>>any other entity that I can help. So I feel there is a practical side to
>>Theosophy.
>
>	In a large sense, I agree with you completely.  However,
>Christians learn in Church to turn the other cheek, and to return
>hate with love, and so on.  Many try to put that into practice.  Are
>you implying that we all basically all on the same Path?  Could
>you tell me what the difference is, in your view, between
>theosophical altruism and any other practicing Christian or
>other religious person?  The reason that I bring this up, Doss, is
>that altruism, to me, is a given, and very first step that we all
>should have learned in Church before coming into Theosophy.
>I would hope that a theosophist  is a cut above the average
>religious person because a theosophist has Knowledge
>that the Christian or Jew or Mulsim doesn't have.  I guess
>what I am suggesting here, is that maybe there is more to
>being a practicing theosophist than merely being altruistic (?).
>
>	Jerry S.
>	Member, TI
>

>Jerry:

I think that any truly good person is intrinsically altruistic and that
holds true from Atheist to Zen Monk.

But theosophy is more than that and less than that. It is knowledge, and
understanding, and a urgently questing mind. It is a mind that seeks beyond
the superficialities of religion. It is a mind that seeks! And in seeking,
demonstrates rather than teaches!

alexis