Re: Ruminations

May 31, 1996 05:34 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

>>In message <2.2.32.19960530182716.006b2718@mail.slip.net>, alexis
>>dolgorukii <alexei@slip.net> writes
{quoting Alan)

>>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>Your response to my post seems to have ignored this comment.  Why?
>>
>>Alan
>>
>>Well, becuase it is something I thought we'd already discussed, that's why.
>You know full well that I have far less complaint with pre-Nicean
>Christianity even though i basically think it could be far better.

Nicea was 325 c.e. - that's a lot of years.  All the N.T. material dates
from this period, along with a vast amount of other writing, including
nearly all of the gnostic material.

> The
>primary problem I have with Post-Nicean Christianity (other than my usual
>problems with oppression and repression, power, control, and profit) is it's
>absolute obsession with sin and evil. That, I believe, has done so much harm
>that nothing at all can compensate for it. Christianity Alan, has just done
>too much harm for me to either condone it or forgive it.

Listen, Sunshine :-) I am not making a defence of Christianity, or to be
more precise, Churchianity.  I am trying to say that what developed into
"post-Nicean" Christianity (and even, here and there, later
developments) *contained* and still contains some esoteric or "mystery"
teaching - quite a bit, in fact.  Church-wise, I am a heretic and an
apostate, and would have been burned a long time back had I lived in a
different age. In-search-of-truth-wise it is another story.  I cannot
help but think sometimes that your hatred of Christianity (which I can
fully understand) clouds your objectivity?

Xtianity and Judaism contain, between them, a great deal of written
material, some "canonical" and more "apocryphal".  Don't throw the baby
out with the bath water!

My favorite example (which I regard as a discovery, though I am probably
not the first to have noticed it over the centuries) will be posted for
your consideration in due course ...

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: