Re: Munchkins

May 28, 1996 09:57 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 10:20 AM 5/28/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Hmmm - a clue!  Munchkins and Trattoria clearly go together.  Definitely
>not MacDonald's ...  I'll have to ask Chuck, as he probably invented
>Senzar; anyhow, if we ask him, he's sure to claim that he did.
>
>Alan :-)
>---------
>THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL:
>Ancient Wisdom for a New Age
>TI@nellie2.demon.co.uk
>http://www,garlic.com/~rdon/TI.html
>
>Munchkins go together with any food serving emporium! Munchkins like to
eat, drink, and play!

Oh I don't think Chuck would claim the invention of "Senzar", everyone knows
that's John Algeo's "claim to fame" he after all, went to the trouble of
writing a 100 page pamphlet on the Senzar Language. Now, this is no worse
than the people who write learned tomes on "Elvish" (as defined by J.R.R.
Tolkein), or produce Klingon Grammars. But I think the difference is that
the latter folks know they're dealing with an aspect of popular fiction, and
John Algeo, I am afraid, is serious.

Regarding "Senzar"; Blavatsky, I believe, "made it up" as part of her
equally fictional "Book of Dzyan" as the original source of "The Secret
Doctrine". For John Algeo to pretend to take seriously a language almost
everyone believes is fictional is an important signal, I feel, of how
utterly silly and irrelevant Theosophy has become. Any philosophy becomes
irrelevant when it is taken over by literalists and changes from a
philosophy into a religion. As formulated in 1875 the theosophical movement
was entirely relevant and terribly important to the "state of civilization",
but where is it now?

alexis