Re: the challenge of alt.theosophy

May 26, 1996 05:44 AM
by Drpsionic

Eldon,
You're right about the fact that many of the people reading and posting to
the newsgroup will have relatively little direct knowledge of theosophy.
 That means that we will not be able to engage in highly technical
discussions with lots of sanskritbabble because no one will have the faintest
idea what the hell we are talking about.
It also means that quotations will have no weight whatsoever because the
people reading the group will often never have heard of the works being
quoted and attach no sense of authority to them.
In other words, we are going to have to be able to state the ideas in as
plain American (modern English, as opposed to proto-American, otherwise known
as British English) as possible and appeal to reason and sense rather than
authority.
Now this is a situation which appeals greatly to me and Alex because as you
know we recognize no authority, but there are others on this list whose
opinions I respect even though I usually disagree with them who may have to
do a little work on their style.  But the level of intelligence of our
sibling posters being what it is I'm sure they will rise to the occasion and
we will, once we are actually able to post on the damned thing, carry on our
debates with the same enthusiasm we have on the list.  And as people read
newsgroups out of curiousity, a good flame war may actually attract attention
and the more people who read the list the better.
I have also sent a private e-mail to John Algeo inviting him and the board
members to post to the newsgroup.  I am hoping they will as they have a
unique position in the TS and the newsgroup as well as theosophy in general
will benefit from their presence.
I am actually very excited about this.  Maybe I have finally been able to
give back something to theosophy in return for all it has given me.

Chuck MTI, FTSA