Re: Character incompatibility; alt.theosophy

May 24, 1996 11:21 PM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 06:15 PM 5/24/96 -0400, you wrote:

>Murray,
>
>I absolutely agree with your analysis - the main key points being
>openness, warmth, a willingness to learn ourselves, to share ideas
>rather than imposing them on others - indeed who dares to say:
>'I know and understand it (theosophy, life) all?'
>

>Murray>There must be hundreds of millions of people around the world whose
> budding intimations of other dimensions of consciousness are crying out
> for even just the beginning of a framework of comprehension and something
> warmer and more encouraging than the attitudes of society at large.
> We need to make sure that any framework we offer is not made of 12 inch
> thick concrete with iron bars over the openings.
> Subtle, appropriate guidance and not just what we've read out of a book
> is the thing, clearly.

Alexis comments: Oh so true. The young people, in particular, will not stand
for the kind of restrictiveness and "regulations" of most established
groups. They find them far too judgemental and far to puritanical. They'll
accept guidance, and they'll accept teaching, but it has to be between near
equals. I say near, because they're willing to grant that the teacher has
more knowledge and experience,but they will not accept subordination. They
absolutely reject "book" learning.

>Exactly!! We can offer a vision, but, gently and maybe a little bit
>'Socratic' if possible.

Alexis comments:True, "let the student do the teaching" is the best
methodology ever invented. But it doesn't hurt to "walk them up and down" a
bit either.

>Murray> Maybe we (the list) could brainstorm the conditions that would make
> this kind of group work and meet the needs - and even be enjoyable!

Alexis:Along with the explorations of personal paranormal experiences, that
kind of "brainstorming" is the very best service the group could perform.

>Well, that's quite another focus of discussion than we have been having
>before..
>I would suggest (as you did) that *listening* is an important prerequisite
>for effective help. Listening, empathy, and at appropriate times, asking
>for clarification; gentle guidance through relevant questions and remarks.
>That's quite a list already. I'm sure that things will develop, grow out
>of experience.
>
>Murray>  Could alt.theosophy do this sort of thing?
>
>Lets try.
>

>Go for it!

alexis