Martin's contest

May 22, 1996 05:59 PM
by K. Paul Johnson

This isn't exactly the dumbest question I ever received in my
career as a librarian, but the most naive.  An elderly
gentleman who was striving to understand his Bible study asked
me in total sincerity, "Where was the universe created?"
Trying to be diplomatic, I said, "Well, er, there wasn't any
there there then."  He just repeated the question, evidently
sincere in his belief that the answer to any question was
somewhere in the library.  I finally ended up telling him "No
one knows" but when he left I got the distinct impression that
he thought I was holding out on him.

The only time I committed the faux pas of laughing at a patron
was many years ago when a high school kid asked (in a library
with a hundred thousand volumes) "Do you have any American
novels?"