Third objective or top priority?

May 21, 1996 06:42 AM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <960521011402_76400.1474_HHL76-2@CompuServe.COM>, Jerry
Schueler <76400.1474@compuserve.com> writes
>       But I deeply wish that the theosophical leadership would
>resolve this issue one way or another--either get rid of the third
>objective, or let those who want to investigate it do so in peace.
>
>       Jerry S.
>       Member, TI

So, I expect, do we all, Jerry.  The fact is, from my perspective, that
the motto "There is no Religion higher than Truth" seems to be suspended
when some more Truth is discovered which does not accord with pre-held
opinions and prejudices.  If, in the course of spiritual (or whatever we
call it) development a person finds that psychic perceptions increase,
then it makes sense to investigate them, if only in order to ensure that
the dangers of psychism [which can be very real] are not part of the
package.  If misunderstandings are discovered, then we are able to
address them.  As I see it, ALL theosophy is at any given time a set of
working hypotheses which serve us quite well *until some new EVIDENCE
comes along* - as it invariably does.

I do not, for example, support the AB-CWL-Jinarajadasa model of
reincarnation because modern research, post-mortem (in the case of those
cited) evidence does not support this model, and - more importantly -
the logic of the model defies common sense, viz., if new souls are
coming up from the "lower" (?) realms all the time, and it takes
millenia for *one* human to obtain enlightenment sufficient to get off
the wheel of life, deat, rebirth, then we would be packed on this planet
like sardines by now, choking on each others' breath - except that the
exponential growth in the number of humans would have resulted in total
extinction centuries ago from lack of sufficient food.  I could go on,
and probably will <G> but not for the moment.

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL:
Ancient Wisdom for a New Age