Re: Root Races or Theosophy Bashing?

May 20, 1996 06:14 PM
by Jerry Schueler

>>Jerry S.:
>> When we talk
>>about a certain root-stock, root race, or national race, or family race,
>>being older and more mature than another, then I have a real problem.
>Eldon:
>I'm not sure why. We can speak of different societies being more
>technically advanced than others, or being industrialized versus being
>third-world countries. Being born into a third-world country is not a
>put-down or is it racist to say that so-and-so is from an undeveloped
>country. Nor is it a put down for Americans to be called spiritually
>backward, as compared to easterners.
	Apparently you don't understand just what "racism" means.
It implies a basic, even genetic, difference that cannot ever be eliminated.
Technical advancement is a difference that can be decreased by
education.  Third-world countries are simply poor.  This can be
equalized by making more money.  I don't agree with your last
sentence, but again, this difference can be decreased by Westerners
becoming more spiritual.  But when you say that Whites are older
than Blacks (and G de P does say this, as part of his own interpretation
of the SD) then there is no chance of ever becoming equal, because
as Blacks mature, Whites will always be older.  Can you see this
subtle difference, Eldon.  Its the difference between racism and
merely pointing out differences that can be minimized by various
techniques or processes.

>But talking about the group says nothing about a particular individual.
>An individual participates in a group, but could change to participate
>in another group. The individual is not caused by, and branded by
>group membership.
	This is all true.  However, it has nothing to do with racism,
which, by definition, is labeling a whole group of people as superior
or inferior to another group of people.

>Would you say that black culture, as a thing in its own right, in
>America, is mature and highly-developed, or in its infancy? I'd say
>that it's in its formative stages, and that it will take many generations
>for something unique will evolve.
	Cultures come and cultures go.  While it may not be
racist to say that Black culture in America is in its infancy, it
is racism to say that Blacks are more immature than Whites,
which is a direct fallout of the SD teaching when races are
applied to Root-Races.

>If the words were ill-chosen, we can explain them in better language.
>We do have a responsibility to pass on the great treasury of teachings
>that we've been able to benefit from.
	Agreed, and this was pretty much the point I was trying to make.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI

Eldon, I applaud your valiant effort to get out of this racist
argument.  You can't do it, but I do applaud your effort.