theos-l bashing & other strange behavior

May 20, 1996 10:58 AM
by Donna_Faber

I've watched numerous types of interesting and compelling writing styles on
theos-l, particularly within the core group, from my position here on the
fringes.  I believe that when writing about something passionately one is bound
to throw a barb now and again, and I've done it, and have seen it done many
times.  What I have noticed, however, is a compelling difference in several of
the writers participating in this particular foray.  Some participants tend to
throw barbs inadvertantly, and when called out on the carpet, readily explain
their statement, or apologize for offending.  Some participants tend to throw
barbs deliberately and enjoying the resulting broujha, do not apologize for
anything.  What I have seen as of recent, however, is participants throwing
barbs deliberately, and then after having been called out on the carpet, being
taken aback as if to say, "What barb? Are you insinuating that I stepped out of
line even for a moment? How DARE you!"  I think that if these sorts of
personality conflicts are going to be resolved, it is important for all parties
to at least take responsibility for their part.  Lately, not only I have NOT
seen this happening, but I've watched members who can't take a punch at all,
but are MORE than willing to throw one.