Theosophy as Creed

May 19, 1996 04:58 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

The Editorial for the latest issue of The Theosophical Journal (UK)
   contains the following (from the General Secretary):

"... a General Secretary has to make decisions on several levels
   and the responsibility for them but, in the end, she carries out
   the policy of the National Council.

"Beyond all this (and the only reason for the existence of
   councils, General Secretaries and Headquarters' staff) lies the
   Theosophical Society itself.  It is the Society and its
   teachings that we are called upon to serve.  We shall serve it
   best by working selflessly together as a united body with this
   main aim that must override all minor differences of
   interpretation and procedure.  We are called upon to support the
   outer organisation precisely because it is still the most
   effective one (in the words of H P Blavatsky) 'to assist in
   showing to man that such a thing as Theosophy exists, and to
   help him ascend towards it by studying and assimilating its
   eternal verities.'"

I don't know about other (Adyar) T.S.
   members, but this is *not* what I signed up for.  This reads
   like the creed of a religious body, not one that ever seeks
   after Truth.

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: