Re: Bashing of Eldon?????

May 19, 1996 12:34 PM
by Bee Brown

JRC wrote:

> On Sun, 19 May 1996, m.k. ramadoss wrote:
> >
> > Anytime we move away from ideas and ideals and start discussing
> > personalities and persons, then we have a serious problem.
>
> I must disagree. We do not have a serious problem ... we have the
> *actual* work of creating a "Universal Family" ... a thing that has been
> avoided for most of our civilization's history. It is not *ideas* that
> form a Universal Family, nor *ideals* that travel the path. It is
> *people*, people with all their brilliance and all their flaws. It is
> not, for instance, ideas that (IMO) are destroying the TS, but people.
> When I, for instance, *name* John Algeo and Rahda Burnier, I suppose I am
> "moving away from ideas and discussing persons", but in my own analysis
> of the problem, it is not ideas, but rather specific people behaving in
> specific ways that *is* the problem.
>         Why is it that Eldon seems to get attacked so much? From my point
> of view, he has a very slippery style of communication - he never
> mentions names, but is as viscious in his attacks as anyone on this list.
> In a single post he will write fine words of "brotherhood" and "mutual
> tolerance", and then write utterly sneering and condescending remarks
> about the "psychic". Of course when someone then goes after him, he can
> always stand back and innocently say "but I didn't mention any names".
>         If there are intense *personal* differences in viewpoint, I do
> not believe the road to "Universal Family" is to try to avoid them and
> drive them underground, to try to gloss over them and pretend they don't
> exist - but rather to make them *fully overt* ... expose them at the
> surface. Universal Family and "tolerance" happens when there is
> *genuine*, not superficial respect accorded to the viewpoints of others.
> And the fact is that this is not something easily achieved. Eldon may
> speak fine words, but he almost continually writes in  way that shows
> utter disrespect and even outright condescension towards the perspectives
> of many on this list. It is intellectual violence to do so even if he
> never mentions anyone by name. It is not "Eldon bashing" when someone who
> is subject to this decides to respond. He is every bit as much a
> participant in the situation as anyone else is.
>                                                         -Regards, -JRC

So, now it is all on again, emotional outbursts at 10 paces. This list is
getting so reactionary. It  doesn't seem to have taken on the semblance of a
Universal Family since I have been on it and I suspect it never will so that
is a pipe dream. I keep wondering how come I can understand mostly what Eldon
is trying to say with the words he uses yet some others do not seem to and
get at him for his choice of 'words'. Much of what he says has deeper
meanings that he is trying to express with the 'words' he choses to use and
it now seem to me it is quite a waste of time. We all have to use words to
express ourselves and some words used may have emotional overtones for some
people reading them but the writer probably is not aware that he/she has
struck a raw nerve yet has to take the flak for doing so.
I was so keen to join this list to learn and discuss theosophy and related
things but I find myself disappointed by what goes in the name of theosophy.
I could well imagine that the reactionary style of this list would put many
potential contributors off. I used to turn my computer on in the morning with
great anticipation to see what was being said but it has turned out to be a
more negative experience than I am willing to bring into my living room by
choice. I guess I will have to decide if it is worth it. I have tried to
participate in my own inadequate way but it seems rather fruitless and when a
 knowledgeable person is continually being misunderstood by some participants
only, then I wonder why it is necessary to get so reactionary over it. Why
not just ignore him if it bugs you that much. Do the Eldon bashers think they
are exempt from the mistakes they accuse him off? Perhaps each of us should
look to our own methods of relating to others and see if we can afford to
cast aspersions. As the saying goes; First take the mote out of thine own eye
etc. This is all becoming very boring so I think I will close down and get on
with living my day without all this nonsense.