Re: Downhill paths

May 19, 1996 00:29 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 11:25 PM 5/18/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi Everybody:
>
>I couldn't resist getting in on this one:

Nor could I, now I read every single word you wrote, and I have to say I
cannot but entirely agree with everything you said. I am not primarily a
social anthropologist or sociologist but I know enough about those
disciplines to applaud your product loudly and vociferously!

You're doing exactly the right think, you are viewing the Theosophical
society and theosophy itself from an "outside" position and arguing it on
your own terms. What the rest of us have been mistakenly doing, I know I
have, is try to argue with The Institutional T.S. on it's own terms, and
that dooms us to failure. I kow I shouldn't but still I get trapped into
arguing with Traditionalist Theosophists on their terms rather than mine
(though I try). You have inspired me Don, and I thank you for it.

As to your view of the "Three Objects" it is exactly my view. But in my
recent monograph, "Ruminations on the subject of Theosophy" I tried to get
the same points made in a more traditional context. I see know, with your
simple statement, that I was mistaken, it's impossible to re-state things no
longer relevant. I was pouring new wine into old bottles, you were breaking
the bottles and that's the only way.

I salute you!

alexis