Re: Netiquette

May 16, 1996 07:18 PM
by Richtay

This is one of the rudest things I've read in a while:

>  But it does seem to me that if a person has unwieldy soft
> ware or is using a totally outmoded and inefficient piece of software then,
> when you consider all the software that is available on a "shareware"
basis,
> or just plain free, then it's up to the person to improve their equipage.

Why is it always someone ELSE'S problem, why can't we take responsibility for
ourselves?  I have a MAC and the software being discussed won't work for me
-- much as I would DEARLY LOVE a filter.  Believe me.  Further, AOL does not
allow one to see the authors from downloaded mail, just the source
"theos-xxx."  And I'm not the only one.  So I just deal with the streams of
stuff that is useless to me.  Fine.

But I'm supposed to change my entire computer system, internet provider, and
configuration because a few people on a list want to tell 8 jokes a day and
can't be bothered cc-ing it to each other?

How about a new Theos-list called "Theos-chitchat" or "Theos-I'm funny" where
private inanities are welcomed?

P.S. Yes, bandwidth is a REAL concern, as we will all see in 4 or 5 years.
 EVERY list on the Internet I've seen shares netiquette concerns and warns
about indiscrete use of bandwidth.  The Arcana list has PAGES of stuff on
bandwidth.  Thankfully Theos-xxx is spared THAT verbiage.