Re: Root Races, Racism, and Reflection

May 16, 1996 02:46 PM
by Richtay

Chuck writes,

> Rich T,
> The probelm with the root races is not with HPB, but rather with her
> successors.  This is one of those areas where it is important to remember
the
> times in which all this was taking place.  The people who grabbed onto the
> root races were seeking a spiritual justification for their own beliefs,
> which were common to the culture of their period.
> If you want your hair to stand on end, read Jinarajadasa's First
Principles.

Good point (and good suggestion, I've never read Jinarajadasa).

But I think some people dismiss the concept entirely because it has been
misapplied and misunderstood by some.  When people quote me GdeP or
Jinarajadasa or whoever with their misunderstandings, I think "Wow.  Bummer
for them."

But it is important to separate the wheat from the chaff.  I am not at ALL
prepared to throw away the doctrine of the root races because Hitler used it
to kill people.  He could have equally well used the Bible, the Church
certainly has.  Likewise with the Buddhist swastica, many people want it
removed from the logo of the Theosophical movement.  But I refuse to give up
a cherished symbol thousands of years old, because some idiots used it for
white supremacy (and continue to do so).  This reflects THEIR ignorance, not
the inherent impropriety of the symbol.

I hear what you are saying about Theosophists who have butchered the
teachings, I merely want to stick up for the teachings as originally
presented by the Masters, and say that if They claim this is part of the
wisdom religion, it is worth our attention.  Even if ultimately we choose not
to accept the teaching.