Re: False beliefs (Reply to Michelle)

May 16, 1996 03:47 AM
by Michelle Donald

Hi Eldon

> In my posting that you are referring to, I was talking about
> two problems to our progress. These tie back to quotes I gave
> from "The Mahatma Letters" a few days earlier.
>
> The second problem, which my quote about refers to is simply
> that regardless of how flexible we may try to be, there may
> be some ideas that are simply wrong, and get in the way of
> our progress.

Thanks for explaining this - I agree with you, amazing how something
taken out of the entire context can have such a different meaning. I
just prefer not using the word wrong or any other word to judge the
quality or rightness of the idea. And as you say in hindsight (or is
the word oversight) that these ideas, beliefs or perceptions have
been a barrier or diversion along a particular path of progress.

We could then discuss the reality of time and whether the TIME the
journey of progress takes matters or not. And on brief reflection of
this, as time is a relative thing, it would depend on which prespective
one looked at this what the effect or "matter" of time would have on
an individual or upon humanities progress. Hmm....

> I'd agree with your idea on the truth, to the individual,
> of subjective, personal views. I'd still say, though,
> that there is *something more*, and that any of us could
> approach it. And that one of the places where this
> *something more* can be found is in the theosophical
> doctrines.

Yes, but to me these doctrines still require/involve personal
interpretation of the words that clothe these truths. The art/science
is to look at all things in light of these truths in an abstract,
objective way.

So it seems to me we actually agree!
BFN
OOROO
Michelle

michelle@zip.com.au
Get On-Line Internet Training and Database Services
http://www.arch.unsw.edu.au/netcourse/