Re: Redfield's Books

May 15, 1996 08:57 AM
by Donna_Faber

I believe that Redfield wrote his books as parables for a specific reason.
Somewhere along the line, perhaps he truly had a vision that he wishes to
share.   I believe he offered those visions or insights as parables knowing
that coming out in too straight forward a fashion would immediately categorize
him with the likes of Dannion Brinkley, whose almost obsessive enthusiasm is
overwhelming.   By writing parables and publishing his books as fiction he has
gotten his message to a much wider audience and therefore will spark similar
thoughts in many more people.   I believe his goal is to get people to think
about what he is saying, and consequently the people who understand his message
can see through the medium.

On Wed, 15 May 1996, alexis dolgorukii wrote:

> At 10:24 PM 5/14/96 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >     The author does not speak down to his audience, nor say his
> >insights are only for "the few" while "the many" aren't ready for them.
> >Fringe groups and cults do this.
> >                                                             -JRC
> >
> >Well I guess I'll stay in the minority on this one. I think telling sci-fi
> fantasy tales as whatever he pretends these are, is speaking down to his
> audience.
        Well, actually, I ought to clarify. I skimmed "Celestine
Prophecies" ... not really my cup of tea. And yes, he is writing fiction
(which, as is well known by now, he admitted). My only point was that he
is accessible. And he *wants* to be accessible. The TS not only does not
seem to wish to be, but at least some seem to feel as though the small
numbers and obscurity of the literature somehow makes Theosophy "more
spiritual" (Which is what I was answering in Jerry's post). Whether
Redfield is valid is a seperate question. He does nothing for me.
                                                                  -JRC