Subba Row's attitude

May 14, 1996 03:44 PM
by Kim Poulsen

Nicholas:
>And what better way to destroy faith in HPB and throw doubt into students
>minds than, a year or two later, give out a system of "Theosophy" that
>ignores and thus denigrates HPB's views.

Nicholas,
   I had decided to leave the subject for now - but a few comments are
needed. Their is a whole world between shattering "too much faith" (as TSR
puts it) and destroying faith. Questioning and challenging views is a very
healthy exercise. At least you have moderated your initial views. TSR had
his own pupils, I can imagine what his reactions must have been if they
kept distrusting his explanations when they appeared to differ from HPB?s
(especially in cases like the seven principles controversy)
  That TSR was extremely unhappy with westerners being taught (he thought
 their minds incapable of grasping esoteric questions), that he disliked
buddhistic terms and that he distrusted the motives of HPB has never been
argued about - neither that he took himself the trouble to have a couple of
good public discussions with HPB.
    "Ignores and thus denigrates" ?!? TSR ignores HPB while lecturing on
the Bhagavad Gita and "thus denigrates her" (and he can hardly be described
as ignoring her when taking her out in public)! Enough! I yield!
   And Nicholas - it is not necessary for you to publish supporting
evidence for the position of HPB - this has never been questioned.

In friendship,

Kim