Re: higher powers

May 13, 1996 11:12 AM
by alexis dolgorukii

At 03:27 AM 5/13/96 -0400, you wrote:

>If I may use this post to ask a question? Why is it that practically all
>Schizophrenics I know and have heard off take up religion? In all their
>various forms and guises. My own agnostic daughter ended up getting
>baptised in the Anglican Church and then later fell out with them and
>tried else where. I have some that visit the Lodge and quote the Bible
>chapter and verse and seem almost desperate in their need to be
>religiously convincing.
>--
>

>   Bee Brown
>   Member TSNZ,Wanganui Branch.
>   Theos Int & L
>

>Bee: I'd like to address your question. You ask "Why is it that......" Now
the point I'd like to raise in response to that question is that perhaps the
psycho-paranormal aspects of schizophrenia are not the driving factor in the
motivations of schizophrenics towards religion. I would venture to guess
that the primary driving factor is insecurity, both personal and social. A
schizophrenic desperately requires firm anchors in their life, and religion,
whether rightfully so or not, is generally perceived as one of the strongest
anchors. Also many schizophrenics feel themselves to be outcasts from
"normal society" and acceptance in a religious group is seen by them as
re-acceptance into normal society. After all, what is more normal and
acceptable in a Commonwealth Country than the Anglican Church, the
"established" Church?
Now, of course, when they become a part of this "safe" and societally
accepted group, and their own personal problems continue, the leave and try
another. I don't think "things psychic" have anything to do with this
phenomenon, I think it's entirely a matter of our basic social conditioning.
People who fear (rightfully so) for their status in society turn to the most
respectable, most "upright" possible refuge, established religion. When they
find no relief in established religion, they turn to ever and ever less
established (and sometimes less responsible) religions. But who can blame
them? I will not deny that, depending on their background and individual
nature, sometimes their "visions" may send them in a search for "the
spiritual", but I think that much of the nature and content of "visions",
especially in schizophrenics, depends on the personality and interests of
the individual concerned.

alexis