Re: higher powers

May 11, 1996 09:05 AM
by Jerry Schueler

Some responses to Rich Taylor:
> The point he may be making
>is that Adepts may have all kinds of hidden powers,
>but many of them arise
>naturally while pursuing Raja Yoga

	Rich, you can count the Adepts who got there
by practicing Raja Yoga on the fingers of one hand.  Your
statement is true, but misleading.

>The real training which one might focus
>on is developing the powers of discrimination and insight and compassion,
>and then finding that unusual psychic abilities arise as well.  A matter of
>emphasis and what exactly is being sought.

	Agreed, although I would delete the word  "real" which is
judgmental.

>But I think everyone on the board will admit that psychic (and other) powers
>NECESSARILY arise when one gets involved in spiritual development.

	Yes.

>  For some people these powers appear to arise early, for some late.
>But HPB and Judge (and Eldon) seem to be emphasizing the idea that
>these psychic abilities are "icing on the cake" and not the cake itself.

	I am not sure what you mean here.  If by "cake" you mean
the ultimate goal, then I agree.  But icing is an almost essential
part of a cake (its my daughter's favorite part).  Eat too much, or too fast,
and you get sick.  But taken slowly, in small proportions, its quite
good.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI