Re: Psychism & Mental Illness

May 11, 1996 02:15 AM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Jerry S:

>>There's not much that can be said in response to that! Perhaps
>>it won't be possible for all the different variants and offshoots
>>of Theosophy to exist under a single tent?

>Well, lets all hope that it will remain possible.

It may be possible, if we don't end up killing each other
off! <grin> But sometimes I wonder how much we're learning
from the experience, and how much we're just wasting our time.

>You are saying that mental illnesses such as schizophrenia
>are *caused* by psychism.  Is this not correct?

No. I'm saying that some forms of mental illness like
schizophrenia can cause accidental psychism. The mental
illness causes the body to malfunction and one's perceptions
to include subjective images from the astral light. This
topic ties back in with our discussion of the planes and
principles, as well as the Path. In one posting, I came to
what I consider the significant point with mental illness:
the process of curing it can be examined by us for helpful
clues to the process of treading the Path.

Mental illness with a biological basis would be like a
computer that malfunctions. That is different than having
a newer computer model that includes infrared sensors, so
that cords are not needed to connect the mouse and keyboard
to the computer cabinet. In a similar manner, I'd consider
some forms of mental illness to be a form of malfunction,
which may include the psychical. It would be different than
a mutation or genetic advance, a newer model of human.

>I, on the other hand, am saying almost the reverse:
>that schizophrenia is directly related to one's ignorance of
>psychism, and that a thorough knowledge of psychism and
>how it works would prevent schizophrenia, and possibly cure
>it

For schizophrenia that is solely due to psychological
matters, and not from a physical basis, I'd consider a
psychological cure, including training and self-awareness.
I'm not convinced, though, that the same voices that someone
may hear, and the same paranoia, and the inappropriate emotions,
are examples of budding psychic abilities, but again a form
of malfunction of the astral/physical form.

This is a different subject than budding psychic abilities,
that would arise on their own, not out of mental illness but
because the individual has a predisposition to perceive the
non-physical.

>(I agree with Alexis that chemical imbalances are easier to
>cure than personality disorders).

And I'd agree too.

>The schizophrenics that we see today have not been practicing
>psychism, at least not consciously.  But Kundalini can spring
>forth within us, whether we are prepared for Her or not.

Although I do think that psychism can lead to mental illness,
and even suicide or death, I don't think that is typical nor
something that most people would have to fear. Kundalini,
though, is a different matter. When it gets going, all bets
are off.

>My position is that, rather than
>avoiding or ignoring Her, we should get to know Her, because
>knowledge of Her can prevent such things as schizophrenia
>from occurring in the first place.

If we have Kundalini active, we certainly have to deal with it!
Like if we were in a car, stalled on a train crossing, watching
a train racing towards us at 90 mph! This is a subject that I'd
consider carefully before discussing it in public.

>If the above two outlooks are correct, then we both
>share the idea that there is a connection between psychism and
>schizophrenia.

I'm not sure how big our differences are. You may be too quick
to assume what I think on the matter, assuming that I can't
have other interests in the topic of schizophrenia than as
another tool in psychism bashing.

>Maybe its time to talk about this, without getting emotional?

I'm not upset about this issue, but do have to deal with the
anger and extreme reactions that I seem to provoke. I'm learning
to cope with the anger. I am, of course, married, and have good
opportunities to practice patience! <grin> There's too much
mockery, denunciation, and putting down of people on theos-l,
and I don't want to be drawn into it. <frown>

I appreciate your effort to make peace with me, and to keep
open the lines of communication. Although we've never met in
person, I feel as if I know you pretty well, from having
communicated with you over the past several years on theos-l,
and hope that if you're ever out at Pasadena, that you'll
call and come by. (Brenda and I live about 32 miles from
the library in Altadena.)

Best wishes,

-- Eldon