schizophrenia

May 08, 1996 04:32 PM
by liesel f. deutsch

Donna,

> It seems that
>had her illness been treated correctly at the start, which was in the 60's,
>perhaps it would not have progressed the way it did.

You have to take into consideration that in the 60ies they didn't know very
much about how to treat mental illnesses. I think that was about the time
Milltown, the 1st tranqulizer, was invented. That was sort of the starting
point of the medical/psychiatric profession finding out how to treat certain
mental illnesses.
What may have happened to your mother-i-l is that she improved as knowledge
re what to do with her improved. ie the people who treated her weren't
necessarily incompetent.

Liesel