Re: Who's the real "Gang"?

May 07, 1996 02:23 PM
by Drpsionic

Alex,
There is a saying, perportedly from HPB, the "Theosophy is who Theosophy
does."  My feeling is that one who, in the words of Voltaire, "defends the
poor and helps the oppressed," is far closer to the spirit of theosophy than
one who can quote the SD right and left and knows several of the Mahatmas
area codes.  I was not kidding when I said it would be interesting if
theosophy ever really acquired a heart.
And the irony of all this is that Eldon is someone who should know that
better than anyone else.  The problem is that the TS went into full reaction
after the madness of Annie and the Bishop and retreated into an alley of
blind intellectualism, relegating the idea of helping people to the TOS.  Now
the Gullo's are wonderful people and this is not to reflect on them in any
way, but the TOS has more than it's share of self-righteous baboons who turn
off more people than all our merry gang combined.  I cannot read their
comments on vegetarianism without having this craving for raw meat.  But the
situation is such that many people in the TS cannot even understand how to
show compassion at the death of a loved one of a fellow member.  And if real
disaster strikes, they say nonsense about Karma and let the person rot.
 That's how I acquired my housemate.  I was the only one who would take her
in.
I have great affection for HPB (which is why I have so much fun with her
girth) and the Colonel not because of her writings, but because of their
humanity.  Anyone who would go charging off to Ceylon on a bullock cart to
toss out the damned missionaries is OK in my book.
The time has come for the TSers to become "doers of the word and not hearers
only."

Chuck the Barbarian MTI, FTSA, M G of 5
Heretic
Troublemaker