Pundits Versus Saints? How About Both?

May 07, 1996 03:36 AM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Doss:

>>>May be it is time that we should administer a quiz on the important
>>>fundamental principles and practice to all the Officers of TS
>>>all over the world and see how they fare. The grades must be
>>>published openly. Such of those who flunk should be asked to go back
>>>and re-read some of the early works.

How about a pop quiz on theos-l?

>>The problem with this, is that we would reward someone
>>because of book-learning or letter.  I would prefer our leaders to
>>have inner spirit.  But who will test for this?

Why an either/or situation? Certainly we don't need saints without
any training or knowledge of the spirit, not any more than we need
lifeless, arid intellectuals without any remaining warmth in their
hearts!

>>Jerry S.

>Good question. May be we can talk to them and test the inner spirit
>by the outer responses and results?

How do we determine that someone is qualified to be a Rabbi, a
college professor, an airline pilot, a bona fide Guru? If we
want someone able to teach and promote a specific body of doctrines
as Theosophy, we'd certainly want them to have some understanding
of the subject. They may not be Saints or Mahatmas, but they could
be trained and qualified pundits.

For this to be acceptable, of course, requires that some recognize
a body of doctrines or Mystery Teachings to Theosophy, and have
sufficient understanding of them to distinguish them in general
terms. Others, not believing in such a thing, would have to content
themselves to other approaches.

On the one hand, I don't think it appropriate that the people that
follow and appreciate the theosophical doctrines force them upon
unwilling non-believers. On the other hand, I won't agree to the
people that don't believe there is a definite body of doctrines,
rooted in the true nature of life -- I won't agree to them opposing
groups or organizations dedicated to promoting the teachings. There's
certainly enough room in this world for both types of approaches and
both types of groups to coexist!

-- Eldon