Re: Quantum Theosophy? (Part 1)

May 06, 1996 06:53 PM
by Jerry Schueler

>> >MIND is what has a huge impact on matter and the course of
> >>evolution.  One can look at these experiments in quantum physics
> >>and be very impressed by the fact that HPB knew and discussed
> >>this decades before the actual proof came to us Westerners.
>
>JRC:
>>      I'd very much like to hear the "proof" that "MIND" has a
> >"huge"  impact on matter and the course of evolution.
>
>Wow.  I can think of so many directions to go for this "proof."  First off, I
>believe there ARE quantum experiments which show that the OBSERVATION itself
>has a "fixing" quality to it, along the lines of the post Bee put up a few
>days ago about "measuring."  And I have heard rumors of studies that show
>that statistically, the attitudes and predictions the scientist make can
>actually RETROACTIVELY effect the outcome of an experiment, in essence
>CHANGING THE PAST, or at least what we thought of as "past."

	Rich, as far as I know, the only "scientific" theory that supports
a mental oversight of evolution is the anthropic principle, and this is not
supported by most scientists (S. Hawking derides it, for example--of course
he is a crass materialist).
	The real (and maybe *only*) support for the anthropic principle
is the initial conditions of the universe.  Scientists are reasonably agreed
that in order for things to have gotten this far, the initial conditions had
to be extremely precise--so much so, that coincidence is practically ruled
out.
	Per your statement quoted above, no.  Quantum theory is
only good for the quantum level--tiny subparticles.  There are at least
8 possible views of how quantum mechanics can be applied to our
macroscopic world.  Most scientists opt for the Copenhagen Interpretation,
given by Bohr.  The notion that we create our own world is another
possible interpretation.  The fact that 6 others exist, shows that no one really
knows how quantum mechanics relates to our everyday world.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI