TS as "abortion"

May 06, 1996 01:56 PM
by Richtay

Alexis writes,

>  The T.S. is about 99% irrelevant
> now.... In fact if it keeps on the way its going, and it will, it
> will soon be far less than simply "irrelevant". This has always been the
> most likely outcome and so I'm afraid there's little we can do besides
> replace it with something that isn't "marginal" in any way.

My response is not yet another attack, and I hope it isn't perceived that way
by some.

But my question is, why do we assume that Theosophical Movement is dead,
however "irrelevant" the TS may be?

Can the Movement, which stretches back to immemorial time, ever "die"?

And if the attempt last century has largely ended in failure, who are the
appropriate re-builders?

I for one would not want that honor, because I don't have the vision or
knowledge of an Adept.  (I know that everyone is already only too aware of
this fact.)  Yet who besides the Adepts would be able to start a fresh
impulse?

It seems to me that the BEST way to "revive" the Movement is to put ourselves
in "sync" with the Captains -- the Adepts -- and try to follow as best we can
the original program They laid out.

I agree with JRC that this first and foremost involves the practice of
brotherhood -- but to my mind it also involves carrying out the ENTIRE
program that the Adepts offered to us.

Following the lines the Adepts laid down, in and of itself, ought to be
enough to get sincere seekers into the "minds" of the living Adepts today,
and once we place ourselves under Their influence, we can hope to be guided
to become useful vehicles for the uplift of humanity.

Simply reforming the TS, or organizing new vehicles for Theosophy, without
the direct guidance of Adepts, seems to me like a band-aid at best, and a
major distraction at worst.