Re: More Pain vs. Suffering

May 05, 1996 08:36 PM
by Jerry Schueler

>I'd use a different word:
>"pain". Pain is the mirror of pleasure. Both are a part of the
>experience of life. But suffering is not. Suffering is a state of
>mind that we don't have to approach our experiences with.

	Keith, generally "pain" refers to the physical while
"suffering" refer to mental.  This way we get to use both words.
BTW, both are dualities.  As you say, the opposite of pain is
pleasure.  The opposite of suffering is bliss or ecstasy.

> Change is unavoidable.
>If we cooperate with planning and directing it, we remain
>somewhat in control and don't have to suffer.

	Good luck if you think you won't suffer by planning
and directing (which is exactly what we should do).   I would
add the phrase "as much" to end of your sentence.

	Jerry S.
	Member, TI