Re: Who's the real "Gang"?

May 05, 1996 06:13 PM
by JRC

On Sun, 5 May 1996, Dr. A.M.Bain wrote:

> In message <Pine.OSF.3.91.960505102658.9135A-100000@selway.umt.edu>, JRC
> <jrcecon@selway.umt.edu> writes
> >       We are not analogous to the Gang of Four - rather,
> >if anything, to the people who put the Gang on trial,
> >charging them with the attempt to totally control Theosophical
> >"culture", and with using institutional force to do so.
> >       And it is to *this* group that your words might more
> >profitably be addressed: Enjoy your power while you have it,
> >for all things come to an end.
> >                                               -JRC
>
> Err - if any of this is supposed to involve me, then I must say the
> whole thing is a load of nonsense, and would rather not be associated
> with it either in a pro or con capacity!

Okey - dokey ... actually, I ignored it myself until this post ...
even though I know Chinese history far too well to have thought it funny
even in jest (I would never, for instance, even "lightly" call Eldon and
those who agree with him "The Gestapo"). I just figured it would go away
in a day. I was somewhat suprised to see it actually become a thread (and
must admit I just laughed aloud when Chuck actually added it to his
signature titles). I wasn't going to add to the discussion, but when
Eldon actually said that one thing he may have been meaning was that the
four of us actually had some sort of *power* - which we should enjoy
because it would pass - well, all semblence of jesting disappeared and I
thought I'd just add my own little reading of Chinese history to the thread.
	However, I erred in saying "we" ... and did not intentionally
mean to imply your involvement - I should not have done so, as I myself
most definately did not appreciate being named as part of a "Gang of
Four" in the first place. My sincere apologies (and this will also be my
last post on the topic.)
						Regards, -JRC