Re: Repartee versus substance

May 05, 1996 09:20 AM
by m.k. ramadoss

On Sun, 5 May 1996, Kim Poulsen wrote:

> Rich:
> >Maybe we can chat more about parallel sources to Theosophy in private
> >posts, I think the list will get bored of this right quick.
>
> Dear Rich,
>
>    you are quite mistaken here. Please keep them on the list. If Alexis
> (and the rest of the gang) and you (and no offence intended) perhaps could
> argue in private instead.... (since it seems unrelated to theosophy).
>    With this said I would love to participate in a discussion on the MSS
> which served as a basis for "Voice of Silence" and "Secret Doctrine." Since
> both works are described as secret, we would have to expect them to be not
> extant nor even widely distributed and known in Tibet. They may of course
> turn up in the future.
>    I?d suggest a close examination of the seven extant works of Asanga for
> similarity with the precepts of "Voice of Silence". The mode of translation
> employed by HPB is very different from the traditional and of great
> interest.
>
> In friendship,
>
> Kim

Kim: If anyone is able to get to the monastery, by presenting the
general substance of both Voice of Silence and Secret Doctrine, it is
possible that the head of the monastery may open up having been surprised
to find some of the important doctrines being made available to the West
more than one hundred years ago. It is also possible that the information
may be available in some sort of written manner and if this is the case,
it would open up possibilities. If for example these written documents
can be shown to predate both Voice of Silence and Secret Doctrine, it
will be very valuable for those doubters. The reason I say this is
because of a very interesting episode relative to the founding of TS.

In S. India, a well known Saint tried to start an organization based on
Brotherhood in early 1800s. It was a time when there was widespread
feelings of caste and creed divisions. After a couple of years, he folded
up his enterprise with the comment that he opened the shop and there were
no customers. So he is closing his shop. But he added that Mahatmas from
beyond Himalayas will send people from America and Russia (he was very
specific about these two countries) and when they come and preach
Brotherhood, everyone will listen.

This episode took place years before HPB herself know of the future plans
of starting TS. Obviously the Saint had some connections with the
Mahatmas. Otherwise how else he could accurately predict the future.
There are some who even speculated that the Saint himself may be a Mahatma.

So I would be very optimistic and wait and see what we can find in the
monastery.

	....doss