Re: Theory vs Practice

May 04, 1996 01:52 PM
by Dr. A.M.Bain

In message <2.2.32.19960504053517.00693204@mail.slip.net>, alexis
dolgorukii <alexei@slip.net> writes
>I have
>come up with the following questions based on experience: I. Do the "notions
>of the cycles of manifestation, reincarnation, and Karma" actually represent
>some kind of reality?

IMO these are three separate notions.  My view is that there may be
cycles of manifestation, though the term is very vague: manifestation of
what?  As for reincarnation, the *evidence* is sketchy, but has some
merit, but there are alternative explanations for it.  It does not
appear to be cyclic, unless perhaps (insufficient data) a student's
subjective view of it *inserts* a cyclic interpretation.  Karma:  I went
on an outing up the river to join in a firend's birthday celebrations,
and we had tea and scones at Bee's Tea Rooms (!) on the riverside before
coming back.  It was an organised outing, and we were told, as we took
our tea and scones, "It will all be paid for at the end."  Just like
life, I thought.  Maybe Karma is a bit like that, but cyclic?  Only if
it is tied in to the notion of reincarnation.  In my philosophy it isn't
tied in like that, so my view is different.  TANSTAAFL.

> 2. Does anything the physical conscious entity do have
>much effect on the spiritual development of that entity?

Maybe, maybe not - how can we tell?  Go look for the spiritual
development, perhaps.  Decide first what we (I) mean by "spiritual" and
so forth.  Try to be aware *as* spiritual entity.  It works for me, but
I have to define my parameters and catalog my experience at the same
time as I travel along "The Path."  *The Path* - Wow! :-)

> 3. What does "live
>the life" actually mean and does it really depend on theosophical
>hypothesis?

If it depends on theosophical anything, surely it depends on one's
perception of theosophical teachings?  If so, living the life means
following those teachings in daily life.  Personally I would recommend
caution, though, and look for empirical backup evidence.  If someone
unexpectedly smacks me in the mouth, am I *getting* karma or is the
other person *starting* some.  I wouldn't care for God's karma! :-)

> 4. Do the "notions of the cycles of manifestation etc." actually
>simply represent signposts pointing to an understanding of reality and the
>human condition that one must find for one's self?

I think all the teachings are signposts, but signposts can be
misleading, as well as informative.  When motorists come from south to
north from Southampton to Bristol on route A36, the signposts for
Bristol actually take them on a long detour via the city of Bath.  This
is to make sure they avoid the scenic route, which is also the shorter,
but potentially more dangerous one.  Also, the villages along it like a
quiet life.

>It is true that altruism and good deeds only go so far, and they probably
>have nothing to do with the realm of spirit, but the do address Buddha's
>concerns regarding the suffering of human beings.

.. which has to be a good thing.

Alan
---------
THEOSOPHY INTERNATIONAL: