Doctrine and Brotherhood *Both*

May 04, 1996 08:07 PM
by Eldon B. Tucker

JRC:

[writing to Rich Taylor]

>Fact is, those who want to make
>Theosophy into something composed of intricate discussions about the
>finer points of the "Doctrine" will simply ignore anything I say.

They might ignore it, because they are focusing on something different.
If they're into an intellectual study of the philosophy, and you want
to promote the wider-reaching work of universal brotherhood, they
see nothing wrong with what you are doing, and simply wish you well.
Can you see nothing wrong with what they are doing, according them a
mutual respect to follow the path they find most beneficial?

>And those Theosophical organizations that wish to actually institutionally
>*impose* the study of this "Doctrine" as a condition will *vehemently*
>ignore anything I say

The theosophical community is wide and varied. There are many groups, and
non-groups of independent people. Some groups focus on a study of the
philosophy. They would find your focus to be counterproductive to their
goals, and would obviously oppose it. Others would not only welcome your
support, but might open their ranks and allow you to take a leadership role.

If a group is *dedicated* to a specific approach, and you are not in
harmony with that approach, then you would be in discord and face
rejection. And the opposite is true as well. If you are in harmony
with the approach of a group, you'll get along fine.

Some theosophical groups have a stronger focus than others, and you'll
find from them varying reactions to your approach.

Is you concern that the Adyar T.S., as a particular theosophical group,
take a specific position along your favorite lines, something along
spiritual social work (promoting harmony and compassion and other qualities
that "universal brotherhood" denotes)?

You don't want an exclusivity in the Adyar T.S. focused upon an
intellectual study of the philosophy. You point to other things that
are obvious concerns in the world. You don't want those things shut out
of the T.S. I would support there being room within the Adyar T.S. and
other theosophical groups for the practice and promotion of brotherhood
*in addition to* any work in support of promulgation of the philosophy.
I don't see it as an either/or situation.

>... especially when in thus saying (and backing
>with as many quotes as anyone else) I am asserting that Theosophy has now
>become precisely what the Adepts greatly feared it would collapse into -
>a small cult of interest to only a few, and having virtually no effect at
>all on a world that now *desperately needs* a strong articulation of the
>principle of a "Universal Family of Humanity".

Keep at work in articulating those principles that are needed in the
world! Be the highest good to everyone that you can. And likewise accord
those of us with different approaches the same right to be the highest
good to the world *in our own way*.

With encouragement and hopefully in mutual respect,

Eldon