Re: Doctrine-----Who are the true Revisionists?

May 04, 1996 05:53 AM
by Eldon B. Tucker

Daniel:

My turn for a few quotes ...

KH> In reference to your wonder that the views of the three
KH> mystics "are far from being identical," what does the fact
KH> prove? Were they instructed by *disembodied, pure, and
KH> wise Spirits ... would not the teachings be identical? The
KH> question rising: "May not Spirits as well as men differ
KH> in ideas?" ... if ... different ... contradictory doctrines
KH> are propounded, these doctrines cannot contain the Truth,
KH> for Truth is *One*, and cannot admit of diametrically
KH> opposite views. [ML, 3rd ed., 49]

This is just stating the obvious: that different, contradictory
doctrines cannot contain the Truth. There is a difference between
personal opinion and facts and views based upon the status quo
of life. This is why it's important to pass on in an unaltered
form those Mystery Teachings which we've been entrusted with,
those that we haven't yet personally realized, and are able to
speak about with the conviction based upon personal experience.

KH> ... it is neither nature nor an imaginary Deity that has to
KH> be blamed, but human nature made vile by *selfishness* ...
KH> work out every cause of evil you can think of and trace it
KH> to its origin and you will have solved *one-third* of the
KH> problem of evil. [page 57]

KH> I will point out the greatest, the chief cause of nearly two
KH> thirds of the evils that pursue humanity ever since that
KH> cause became a power. It is religion under whatever form and
KH> in whatsoever nation ... Remember the sum of human misery
KH> will never be diminished unto that day when the better portion
KH> of humanity destroys in the name of Truth, morality, and
KH> universal charity, the altars of their false gods. [page 58]

This part we've discussed, that selfishness and superstition are
the main cause of evil and suffering in the world. But then we
read:

M> Those who have believed and followed us have had their reward.
M> Mr. Sinnett and Hume are exceptions. Their beliefs are no
M> barrier to us for they have *none*. They may have had
M> influences around them, ... but all this is physical and
M> material impediments which with a little effort we could
M> counteract and even clear away ... Not so with the magnetism
M> and invisible results proceeding from erroneous and sincere
M> beliefs. Faith in the Gods and God, and other superstitions
M> attracts millions of foreign influences, living entities and
M> powerful agents around them, with which we would have to use
M> more than ordinary exercise of power to drive them away. [page 455]

 From this I read that erroneous but sincere beliefs are the
biggest barrier to our participating in the spiritual work.
These beliefs can bring with them untold negative influences,
which can only darken one's nature and hold one back.

If there is one Truth, albeit expressed in different forms in
different approaches to the spiritual, and if false-but-sincere
beliefs are a barrier, then it is of considerable importance for
people to search out valid "veins of gold", valid sources of
Mystery Teachings to train oneself in. And it is also important
that one work to end suffering by becoming unselfish, by working
to free people from the thought-control imposed by religions. (And
by political and cultural systems as well!) And finally, it is
important to help people move beyond their false but sincere
beliefs, to study the Mysteries with a fresh, open, unstained
mind and heart, a mind that is restored to its virgin state where
it is untouched by fixed opinion and pettiness!

-- Eldon