What is the definition of "fruitcake"?

May 03, 1996 11:17 AM
by Blavatsky Foundation

Aleixis writes:

>>I'm not the only Gay person on this list
>>and I take very strong exception to words like "fag" and "fruitcake"!

I believe it was Keith who used this term and we should ask him what he
meant by the term?

But in one of my dictionaries [THE AMERICAN HERITAGE DICTIONARY OF THE
ENGLISH LANGUAGE, Third edition, "fruitcake" is defined as a cake or a
second definition is:

"2.  Slang.  A crazy or an eccentric person."

Alexis, maybe you are confusing "fruitcake" with the term "fruit" which is
defined in the same
dictionary as:

"7.  Offensive Slang.  Used as a disparaging term for a gay or homosexual man."

Fruitcakes usually have nuts in them and MERRIAM WEBSTER'S COLLEGIATE
DICTIONARY,
Tenth edition, gives one definition of fruitcake as "nut", ie., "a foolish,
eccentric, or crazy
person."

DHC